1. The following statement applies to the LEIROC website (http://www.leiroc.org/) and describes the policy of the LEIROC on the collection and use of personal information - ie information that personally identifies a User, such as a User's name, address, e-mail address or phone number. Links to other websites from this website are not covered by this policy.
2. The LEIROC makes a record of every visit by a User to this website, and logs the following information for statistical purposes so that it can continuously improve the structure of the site:
o the User's internet protocol (IP) address or domain name, depending on the User's server environment (but not the User's e-mail address);
o the date and time of the visit;
o the pages accessed by the User and the documents downloaded; and
o the type of browser used.
3. The LEIROC uses "cookies" to collect information about how its website is being used. A cookie is a text-only string of information that is transferred from the LEIROC website to the cookie file of the browser on the hard disk of the User's computer when the User visits the LEIROC website. A cookie cannot read data off the User's hard disk, read cookie files created by other websites or identify the User's name or e-mail address.
4. There are two types of cookies: "session" cookies and "persistent" cookies. The LEIROC uses both. A session cookie remains in the cookie file of the User's browser until he or she leaves the LEIROC website. A persistent cookie is stored in the User's hard drive until it expires (persistent cookies sent by the LEIROC website have a 12-month expiry date) or until the User deletes the cookie. The LEIROC uses both types of cookies to collect information about Users' surfing behaviour when they access the website.
5. Most web browsers automatically accept cookies, but the browser can usually be set to prevent this. Users may wish to consult the Help file of their web browser to find out more about this option.